Storage Management I & II: A Best Practices Approach
The topic of storage management is critical; analysts claim that while storage costs per GB are falling, storage management costs are rising faster than any other area of IT, resulting in increased pressure to contain these costs. At the same time, demands are being placed on these same organizations become more accountable for data protection, risk management and regulatory compliance purposes. This session serves as an overview introduction to the world of storage management, from basic topics such as organizing your storage management team to an overview of tools that can provide key metrics and help to streamline common tasks. This is the first of two parts, offering an overview of the entire landscape but also drilling down on some of the key elements.
Learn HOW TO:
1. Apply the Storage Service Provider approach to drive efficiency and improve service levels
2. Build an effective storage team: What are the key roles and responsibilities, and how do you scale? This session assumes no prior knowledge of storage management practices or technologies.
ENGINEERING TRACK Storage Management School, II Presented by James Damoulakis, CTO, GlassHouse Technologies
Now that you've got the basics down, try this second session where James Damoulakis explores more complex issues facing today's storage manager.
Learn HOW TO:
1. Understand the link between policy and process
2. Create and implement the following: -- Tiered levels of service-- Service Level Agreements (SLAs)-- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
3. Assess and improve process maturity
4. Effectively evaluate storage management tools
5. Decide whether an IT framework like ITIL is right for you
6. Ensure that the storage group meets corporate compliance requirements
This session assumes basic to moderate knowledge of storage management practices and technologies.
CTO, GlassHouse Technologies
- Storage Decisions
- 22 May 2005
- 20 May 2005